Computer-based Working Environments (326.008, WS 2012/2013)
Place: Hagenberg seminar room (HA 105).
Time: Blocked form (3 units a 45 min per block) October/November/December.
Start: October 18, 2012, 10 am, Seminar room HA105, RISC, Hagenberg
The first lecture will cover two units. The following lectures will cover 3 units a 45 min, with a break of 15 min.
Next lecture: October 25, 2012, 10 am, Seminar room HA105, RISC, Hagenberg
Next lecture: November 8, 2012, 10 am, Seminar room HA105, RISC, Hagenberg
Next lecture: November 15, 2012, 10 am, Seminar room HA105, RISC, Hagenberg
This course gives a condensed introduction into the practical aspects of scientific working in computer-based environments, in this order:
- Version Control (1 unit, RH)
- Webpage creation (1 unit, RH)
- Everyday Ubuntu Use (1 unit, KE)
- Debian GNU/Linux (2 unit, KE)
- Working on a command line I. (1 unit, KE)
- Working on a command line II. (1 unit, KE)
- Networking (1 unit, KE)
- Remote login, remote desktops, SSH, VNC (2 units, KE)
- Mailing (1 unit, KE)
- Simple Image Processing and Drawing Figures (1 unit, KE)
- Document preparation using LaTeX (1 unit, WW)
- Mathematical Software (1 unit, WW)
Grading is based on the elaboration of practical exercises.
To take part in the course, you have to enrol in the KUSSS system. Since the exercises will be submitted via Moodle, you also have to login into Moodle and register as a course participant. You will then also receive per email all messages posted in the News forum.
Ralf Hemmecke (1 Unit)
- General overview of Source Code Management Systems (SCM)
- Version control with GIT
- Online demonstration of basic GIT Commands
- Slides: VersionControl.pdf
Exercise (due: 18-Nov-2012, 3 p.m. GMT):
- If you are not able to successfully clone the magicrings repository, send your ssh public key ($HOME/.ssh/id_rsa.pub) as an attachment to email@example.com. Do this before the lecture starts, i.e. one week before this lecture starts.
If you do not yet have such a file, create it by running
ssh-keygen -t rsa
at the command line and accept .ssh/id_rsa as the location for the key.
- If I've registered your key, you can clone a repository via
git clone firstname.lastname@example.org:magicrings
- At the top of the file magicrings/magicrings.tex you will find a little task that will extend into a somewhat longer task after your first merge.
- Note that you have to make yourself known to git first, by setting your full name and your email address.
Ralf Hemmecke (1 Unit)
- General Remarks about web pages (HTML, CSS, static/dynamic)
- Content Management Systems (CMS)
- (WYSIWYG vs. raw) HTML editors
- Creation of simple webpages including hyperlinks and pictures.
Károly Erdei (2 units, October 25, 2012)
- Computer Environment at RISC
- Linux / Windows comparison
- Structure of Linux
- The Linux File System
- File management
- X Window System
Slides: Debian/GNU Linux Introduction
- Summary about Linux
- Linux Distributions
- X Window System
- List of KDE Applications
- List of GNOME Applications
Exercise Linux (deadline: November 18th, 2012)
Document preparation using LaTeX
- Basic handling, basic philosophy,
- structuring documents,
- writing text / writing mathematics,
- macros / styles / packages,
- including images,
- table of contents, list of references, etc.
- organizing bigger "projects",
- environments supporting the generation of LaTeX source.
If you are not already familiar with LaTeX, then
- have a look at the LaTeX screen casts below and
- study the LaTeXDetails and/or the given web resources.
- The not so short introduction
- collection of guides
- compact LaTeX primer
- Google e.g. 'LaTeX introduction', ...
You have to solve the exercise and submit your solutions before the LaTeX class. In class, we will discuss your solutions.
Remote Login, Remote Desktops, Synchronous Communication
Károly Erdei (2 units, November 15, 2012)
- Remote login
- File services (FTP, NFS)
- Secure Shell
- SSH tunneling
- SSH public key authentication
- VNC (Virtual Network Computing)
- RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol)
Simple Image Processing and Drawing Figures
Károly Erdei (1 Unit, Week NN, 2012)
Simple Image Processing
- Image, Image Processing
- Basics of GIMP
- Working with images in Latex
- Drawing figures with Xfig
- Grid mode, compound figures, moving figures.
- Exporting figures as .latex, .eps, .png
- Drawing figures with inkscape.
- Including figures in LaTeX (.latex, .eps)
Slides: Image processing and Drawing figures